Set upon a 200m high rock above the town of Eisenach, surrounded by the Thuringian forest, formerly the court of the Minnesanger troubadours, and refuge of Martin Luther; Wartburg is perhaps the most famous of German Medieval castles and a World Cultural Heritage Site of enormous significance. Cut deep into the rock at its foot, but within its walls, sits the Hotel Auf der Wartburg.
Purpose built in 1913 in late-Romanesque style from the same local, auburn stone used for the Wartburg itself but softened by the characteristic Thuringian half-timbered construction, this elegant, very comfortable hotel was restored in 2001. Bedrooms are individually decorated and beautifully furnished in the modern style, most are large, and all have views of the forest or the old town.
The Landgrafenstrube restaurant has a distinctive menu featuring many Thuringian dishes based upon menus of the landgraves dating back to the 12th century, the emphasis on classical local dishes with style. In addition to meticulous service and a leviathan wine list, the Landgrafenstrube benefits from a fine westerly forest view, best enjoyed from the enclosed terrace.